We are a mind, body, and spirit requiring the necessary balance for optimal health and happiness.
Our lifestyle choices either support or destroy that balance, which affects our systems (hormones, nervous system, digestive system), which affect the quality of our sleep.
Here are my tips for better sleep:
1. Drink half your body weight in ounces every day to give your cells and systems what they need to thrive for optimal hormone balance. Dehydration triggers Cortisol, the stress hormone.
2. Find time to do what you love every day. The sense of satisfaction and joy shift your body into the parasympathetic nervous system where you have a sense that all is well, making it easier to fall asleep.
3. Cut back on all technology (small and big screens) at least an hour before bed ~ their short wavelength blue light reduces the body's production of melatonin (a hormone) and confuses the body's natural circadian rhythm which makes it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.
4. Exercise early in the day so that your body works to recover and repair while you are active and busy throughout the day. Your mind and your body will be ready for sleep.
5. Success journal at the end of the day to relax your mind that you’ve done a great job (no to-do lists!!!!)
The content in this post was originally featured in my interview for this expert roundup on sleep habits.
Want more tips and inspiration for health, happiness and success? Join my newsletter today and receive a copy of my 5 Step Morning Routine for Thriving so you can create your day for success!